Monday, July 1, 2013

Aberdeen: My First 10 Days

Sorry for the terrible start to consistent blogging. It's been pretty busy figuring out everything, getting to know everyone, and all that jazz.

In all honesty, I've had plenty of time to write... It's just out of laziness that I haven't.

I'll start with a boring daily overview of everything since last Wednesday (I promise I'll only try to do this for one week. I understand you guys generally don't care about when I wake up, eat lunch, and when I go to sleep):

Wednesday...
-Late-morning start
-Headed to a neat Harbor that starts with a "P"

 
 
-Uncle Jerry bought us pints of ice cream, we went home, ate them, and watched CSI


Thursday...
-Drove to Aberdeen with Uncle Jerry and Aunt Charm
-Played Candyland and Chutes and Ladders with Noble
-Taught Noble how to play Rock, paper, scissors
-Slept at Mandy and Jake's

Friday...
-Discovered the new intern room
-Intern orientation
-Lunch
-Piled in a van
-Got to Seattle
-Dinner
-Worship and discussion... "What are you expecting?"
-Bibleopoly

ANNNNDD that got boring quickly, so I'll cover some highlights instead...

First of all, the people in the internship:

Charisa. She's awesome, and she's going to fly home with me and road trip it back to Aberdeen.
Stephanie. She's also awesome, and has a beautiful little girl named Addeline (spelling?).
Brandon. He's cool, and just recently got a tattoo.
Nick. He's outgoing, and a musician.
Zach. He's awesome, works at Starbucks, and is a future leader in the church (you can just tell).
Nolan. Zach's younger brother. Also awesome, and meager, and precious.
Dominic. He has lots of curly hair, and is good at creeping people out. It's a compliment.
Quintin. He's very neat. A softy with a quieter, shy personality to him.
Then there's Jake (associate pastor, & my cousin) and Chad (Jake's assistant). Apart from being biased, these guys are incredible and full of wisdom. It's the truth.

I'm so excited to get to know these lovely people this summer. Along with everyone from River of Life... They're so welcoming and wise and awesome. Basically like my new family (Faith CRC-ers... you'll always be my number one church fam <3).

I don't know where to start, because there's so much that has happened in my first 10 days in Aberdeen. I'm writing whatever comes to mind. Be prepared.

My home. I'm so blessed to be living with Carrie (one of Mandy's good friends) this Summer. She's an amazing woman of God, and I'm hoping she talks me into doing YWAM.


Volleyball. We've been playing a lot of that at Chad and Charisa's parent's house.

 
I'm actually quite a bit better than I thought I'd be. So that makes it fun. We also play barefoot, which makes it even more fun. And we play in the rain, which also makes it 100x more fun.
 
 
The other day, a few of us interns went on a family walk to Scoops to get some ice cream. It was quite the bonding experience.
 
 
I held up the back and took pictures, as usual.
 
A largish group from Master's Commission in Kirkland, WA came to hangout with us for a couple days. It was a very, very neat experience. They've been "interning" with MC since last September, so they've experienced a lot of God, and shared what He's been doing in their lives.
 
It helped me think of more things to expect in the couple months I'm here.
 
 
This is them leaving. I love them muchisimo. A mi me encanta espanol mucho. Y por eso, voy a hablar en espanol algunas veces porque es divertido.
 
So now Master's Commission is on the possibility list of the happenings in my future. Along with YWAM, Oklahoma, work, school, skydiving with cousin Hannah, climbing a water tower, and all that good stuff.
 
Speaking of my bucket list, Charisa helped me cross off "laughing until I pee". Sorry if that's TMI, but I had to include it... I consider it an accomplishment.
 
 
 We've been doing quite a bit of work around the church. Getting doors ready for painting, pulling weeds, sweeping everywhere, all that good, servicy stuff.
 
 
I've been trying to be semi-consistent in exercising. It's kind of entertaining... I live about 100 yards from the harbor, where quite a few homeless people sleep/meander in the early morning. Ironically, that's the best place to walk/run. Without being rude or judgmental (truth is, I am judging) it can be kind of scary. I realize that this is relatively pointless in blogging about, but I just thought it was interesting.
 
FACT: Aberdeen reminds me of Holland, although Aberdeen has an unemployment rate of 13% while Holland's is 6.5%. It's crazy to see how an employment rate impacts the "feel" a town. It's really quite noticeable. Might be why some people call Aberdeen a mission field. I kinda like it.
 
On Sunday, after church, a lot of us went to the river to hang out. I wasn't planning on swimming, but of course, it happened. In my clothes. It was refreshing.
 
 
Have you noticed I like pictures? I think they're fun.
 
Sunday evening, at 6pm, we had an evening of worship. For 30 minutes we did something called "Expect". It's a time, usually what we do before GI (youth group), where all the leaders walk around the sanctuary and pray. If God puts something on our heart, we go up to the microphone and share what it is. I'll talk more about this, along with other more "serious" things, in another blog post. I think it's important.
 
After worship, we went and played volleyball again.
 
Then I spent the night at Charisa's.
 
This morning, we woke up, Bethany came over, and we worked out. We also ordered Turbo Jam. It'll be a good time.
 
Then Charisa and I got pedicures and went tanning.
 
And now I'm at Starbucks... Where I'm draining my bank account.
 
I [kind of] promise that I'll TRY to do better in the blog world so that it's not an overwhelming load of random shenanigans. Thanks for reading, anyways. You're beautiful.
 
xxoo
Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment